Thursday, October 10, 2013

Be a Dad!

As a chaplain it is my job to visit with inmates. I sit and hear their stories in order to place their behavior in the context of their stories. There in their stories sometimes I discover the source of their brokenness, their anger and their pain. One common theme that emerges from most of their stories is the theme of divorced parents and dads missing from their lives. My job as a chaplain is to help them through the power of God to turn their controlling stories (stories of their lives that control them such as that of a missing dad) into transforming stories (stories that they could learn from and be better). Their stories also helped me evaluate my role as a dad. What story will control/ transform my son and my daughter in the future is depended so much on how I play my part as their dad. Scary!!

No comments:

Post a Comment